Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Paul King <paul_at_L7wpKs9uKFbJFHvkt6e4xiuCT33QRP7CZ9fU-Q7uby50n9tuxE19nC7CmG_kLi5rKi5tyn6>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:48:06 +0100

I think that there is some need for clarification here. The position that violations of the social order allow chaos entry (true amongst Heortlings, suggested for other societies) does not entail that chaos is socially constructed. Rather it is the social order that is a construct. An alternative view might be that the social order is a symbolic (and magically potent) defence against Chaos and that violations damage that defence.

Counter to that position, though, is the view (which IIRC is "official") that rape is the province of Thed (more correctly Thed IS rape) and thus all rape (socially acceptable or not) is worship of that goddess. The consequence being that all rapists risk becoming broo. In that case it may be that the Heortlings are a special case and their vulnerabilty is more a mythic consequence of the Storm Gods' actions in bringing about the Greater Darkness. Chaos then becomes more objective in that worship of Chaos Gods (even unknowing worship) leads to Chaos.

(I suggested as a YGMV idea that it could be held that some peoples - Char-Un as an example - might consider some acts we would call rape acceptable and might be less at risk as a consequence. But it was suggested as a get-out for use in games rather than anything which had serious support in published sources)