Re: When do you become chaotic?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_CkGA8oSqkLsNAHsWbrb6zgKFSqOYL5Y5Yr0CIe5BAwZHDxvdJVL6dezisF7LVIKA9pG>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:10:40 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Charles Stewart wrote:

>> To me the "taint of chaos" is immaterial. It does not depend on anything
>> in the material world.
>>
>> "Taint of chaos" change to/feature of immaterial part of entity
>> (soul/spirit/essence)
>> "Chaos feature" physical manifestation of immaterial taint.
>>
>> You can have taint without a chaos feature, but no chaos feature without
>> the taint.
>
> <snip>
>> Can you stop being chaotic once you are? I would like to think so. It
>> would involve heroquesting, as the essence of chaos is immaterial. It
>> would be harder for those born chaotic. It would be harder the more your
>> are tainted. I don't know if this matches Greg's view, but in my Glorantha
>> it is reversible. But it is not as simple as saying "I'm not chaotic
>> anymore and I don't worship chaotic entities". But if you were a
>> worshipper and your didn't have the chaos taint, then yes you can just cut
>> and run.
>
> How does illumination fit into this scheme? Does it heal, conceal or do somthing else to
> the immaterial chaos taint?

To be honest I'm not sure. I'm still struggling to understand the material on illumination in ILH2 and how it fits with the previous material.

One thing to remember is that illumination, in and of itself, does not make an entity tainted with chaos. They are independent, you can be chaotic and not illuminated (the vast majority of chaotics are not illuminated) and you can be illuminated and not chaotic.

I *suspect* (but as I intimidated above I am not confident in my understanding) that illumination does conceal the taint. In an analagous way to protecting the illuminated from cult reprisal spirits. Whether it "heals" it or not I'm not sure. There would be two aspects (at least) to that. The "bleeding hole in the fabric of the world" and the "lashing out against natural laws". Illumination certainly seems to (or at least can) make one more at peace, so affecting the latter is certainly possible. As to the former I really don't know.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_PisfEzBLx6uDlRjbbCw40No_reYltKg0mA6dfJdrmmpGvlRf8LD4dDHyqjdZbHMb9fJ2Y3-5MhHUcDAEi7uM9g.yahoo.invalid