Re: Removing Chaos (in Prax, was: Blue Toad)

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_LlC9j2E1IMos-93JvphCZjBZcOJv7XKlZKlKYJvq-2pbEpDS2aIkA4RbL9IdfS2a4xN>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:46:16 -0000

Chris Lemens:

> > This seems to be a well-founded nomad belief, also finding its
expression
> > in Waha digging the Good Canal, redirecting the Sounders River
(is that a
> > spelling error for Founders' River?) to wash away the squashed
remains of
> > Wakboth.
>
> I'm not sure I buy this. I don't recall which source it was in, but
my memory of the description is that Waha dug the river so that the river would "digest" the remains of the Devil. Which implies it's a serpent, not a bath.

Not really. He dug the Good Canal to bring the Sounders River to the Block and wash away the Devil's remains. So, the river existed already, he just moved it a bit. In any case, it washed away most of the contamination, showing that water can remove chaos in certain circumstances.

> > To the Beast Riders, all sources of water are sacred (note that
> > all the "altars of Prax" are oases).
>
> Does the Stool not count? It has no water. Apart from that I
think it's a generally valid observation, but I don't draw the same conclusion. Sources of water are rare, useful, and important. Spirits live in most of them, so they are certainly sacred in that sense. But I don't see that has much to do with the ability to wash away chaos.

No, the Stool doesn't count as it is not a Praxian Holy Place in the same way the Oases are. They are remnants of Genert's Garden, by and large, and the Stool is a Mallia holy place where it is possible to contact spirits of disease and other nice things.

> > Even the watery methods should cause great etched scars etc. to
show the ordeal.

> Assuming you allow them in YG, I agree.

I always thought (IMG) the Cleansed One brought the chaotic to the Sea to bathe in Salt Water and have the chaos burned away. Clearly not normal strength salt, but magically powerful water.

There is a Praxian shamanic method of purifying water by putting it in a water skin and beating it. Perhaps the same thing works with chaos - put it in a skin full of water and beat it until the chaos goes away. One way or another, the problem is solved.

See Ya

Simon