Re: Gloranthan Court

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_1jkT1lamj4yBgpCmSBWR8QtY7PgmgfdkPMBPPsbpFUybxF25P-_1_sbB5LeobUx8dvM>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:17:15 -0000

Andre (Osentalka):
> i donīt know my sources well enaugh... or i fumbled on my roll
of "search
> for fact in gloranthan publications"...
>
> What kind of entities were the members of the Gloranthan Court (old
RQ term:
> celestial court)?
>
> Were they all deities?
>
> Or were some of them deities, some of them great spirits, and some
of them
> "essences"?
>
> Or were all of them ALL three of it, deity, great spirit and
sorcerous
> entity, at the same time?

They all produced offspring, with the possible exception of Kargan Tor, who were deities. Even Dame Darkness (Nakala?) produced deities. So they were probably deities. The gods worshipped them, after a fashion, and Uleria is still worshipped, albeit as a different-ish deity.

But, retrofitting obselete RQ2/Gloranthan articles is fraught with peril.

After all, the Celestial Court articles were written around 30 years ago, and we all know what that means.

> Any answer could be of use... naming sources would be even better.

As far as I remember, you are unlikely to have seen them classified as Spirits/Deities/Essences as the written material predates that classification and, the the best of my knowledge, they haven't been described in that framework. So, I can't quite sources.

To a certain extent, they mythically predate the Colliding Worlds, as they created Glorantha, or rather Glorantha was born from them. I'm not that hot on when the Colliding Worlds model kicks in or if it even covers early Glorantha. Don't forget that some of these beings predate even the Green Age.

See Ya

Simon