Re: Gifting question..

From: Paul King <paul_at_Efnm0S9X8JEHw49YNSMQWIcc_KZC3DPMtWSk8y6SojUupmregUMNWnssW6xilFegaEm0L_3>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:45:04 +0100

On 30 Apr 2007, at 20:01, Dougie Punk wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> reading the stuff on Heortling gifting culture, a thought occurred to
> me.Is it possible / do Heortlings do it, to create "face traps" with
> gifting? For example, could one clan generously gift its neighbour
> then expect that neighbours help when it renews an old blood feud
> with another neighbour?

I think that would be very much dependent on the local politics. Yes, they could hope for aid. They could try to shame the receiving clan if their aid is clearly inadequate. But they can't expect an awful lot just from one big gift - unless it's really big. And then it looks an awful lot like trying to bribe the other clan. A long- term friendly relationship will always outweigh a single gift, no matter how big.

A more likely trap would be when a poor clan has something that a wealthy clan wants badly, but violence is not a good idea. It might be land or a sacred relic. They may not be prepared to sell, but if there is no other way to return a large gift...

> Do gifts offered have to accepted if the
> receiver is suspicious of the givers motives (I know "no one can make
> you do anything" but how applicable is that here?

Of course gifts can be refused, but it's an insult. Quite a serious one, I think.