Re: Gifting question..

From: donald_at_twf-10f05ijlkyHkr5rOZn5CsG3_-JRQfTpb2RmxddjVYOUOabgD0tMvrrCZMdMhWWoYJ
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:36:26 GMT

In message <C41CB856-58B6-47A2-BA05-9421EF20B0A1_at_YBe0QQJ9uV1FeMtrdp-IzK5p-TPyXjRgWUfohupAqRrBzoDqZk1_bN9drp8dhvQXg3ImxsRe1N0J_RHG2JeyhaO9WBjtWngjhede50cja5pOs7okehN9kuA.yahoo.invalid> Dougie Punk writes:
>Hi guys,
>
>reading the stuff on Heortling gifting culture, a thought occurred to
>me.Is it possible / do Heortlings do it, to create "face traps" with
>gifting? For example, could one clan generously gift its neighbour
>then expect that neighbours help when it renews an old blood feud
>with another neighbour? Do gifts offered have to accepted if the
>receiver is suspicious of the givers motives (I know "no one can make
>you do anything" but how applicable is that here?

"Face traps" aren't really possible, because the gift giver can't specify the return gift. I'm sure it's tried and the appropriate return gift is something extremely valuable in cultural terms but practically useless. In fact we could start a list of such items.

I'll start with Ernalda's girdle of chastity. No one knows if it does anything as the last time a man suggested his wife wear it she slapped his face so hard he fell over.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/