Re: Harsaltar the Terrible and the Red Emperor

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_006mLjowIi5tyM3_-yEizxrqVJNOEoZfdLtwZ7AADVYaAlW7y_Tm0Q5Mxu38XPExY>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:47:01 -0800

> The youngest (propably, he's 10)

He's 8. But REALLY pumped up by Humakti vows. Not much of his young personality left all, just a vengeful Deathlord.

> member of the Household of Death
> fights the Red Emperor in 1602 at the lunar assoult on Boldhome. KoS
> tells us that he gives the emperor a mortal wound, but that the dying
> emperor forces him to break a geas that kills him (Harsaltar, that is).
>
> I have several questions on this.
>
> 1) Does the emperor die?

According to the Sartarites, yes. King of Sartar, page 142. According to the Lunars, no. Fortunate Succession, page 68. For me, the Lunars are correct.

> In Glorantha the mortal wound may be healed
> before the emperor is dead, or parhaps he's brought back to life.
> Which emperor reigned at the time, and what was his personality like.

Ignifer. The Fortunate Succession, p 68.

> 2) What is meant with the "forcing him to break a geas". It sounds
> fascinating, but I haven't figured out what it could mean. How does
> the emperor force a desciple of Humakt to break a geas? Mental control?
> Also what sort of a geas would this be?

David D's suggestion, from Penny Love (?), is exactly the right kind of thing.
Note that breaking his geas doesn't kill the warlord, but it does create a weakness that will doom him.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer