Re: St Volanc vs St Nisaro

From: Greg <Greg_at_ey7YmzWu8_UalZe48tqNNcrduc9oSqDFRxylqGW6EwOiBHlx9JM32LZ7HRfCwHyKz-tw4re>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 16:10:25 -0800

YGWV
Gianni Vacca wrote:

> According to _Glorantha, The Second Age_, the Rightness Army was
> founded by St Volanc (page 47).
> On the other hand, based on previous research I made on the internet
> [and hence based on sources which were not necessarily official], my
> understanding was that the founder of the Rightness Amy must have been
> St Nisaro.

The previous canonical source is _The Middle Sea Empire_, available from Moon Design and written by yours truly.
Therein we find no Saint Nisaro at all, but rather this quote: In 740 the army of Seshnela and the Return to Rightness Crusade crushed Archon Paslac, destroying even his uz allies. The Stygian Alliance shattered, and military resistance collapsed. With lightning swiftness the whole Cult of Arkat was hunted down, their records destroyed, and their holy places razed. Thus, after 240 years, did the prophecy of King Gerlant come true, and Marshall Nisaro bore the Firesword to destroy the grave of evil Arkat.
And this quote:
Marshall Nisaro
The Great Purifier is the only non-king to have borne the sword, a portion of the Regal Regalia. [That is, outside of officials at court whose job was to bear it for the king.]

> So is St Volanc a new creation of the Mongoose like St Hwaros? Or had
> he already been mentioned in previous Gloranthan works?

_The Middle Sea Empire_ has no mention of Volanc. Nor does _Revealed Mythologies_ (also available form MD).
I think it’s thus safe to assume it has entered canon through Mongoose.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.