Re: Power levels. Sartar, city gods, Emperor, Pharaoh...

From: Greg <Greg_at_Ps9yrqsYDYltQSVUepl-6u_bOYgV0OVEl_-KsyyhvZM6tTcTOt4Ncb9k-RODxEM2SsHzLCV>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 11:58:51 -0800

YGWV valkoharja wrote:

> We have some rules that should help work out the answers to many of
> these questions, but I've not seen anybody do it yet.
>
> Since my game is set before the fall of Sartar, I'd like to know how
> powerful the flame of Sartar was, and what sort of magic one could get
> from worshipping him/it.

The flame, of course, is the representation of Sartar himself, so you would be worshiping Sartar.

> I assume Sartar was a heroic level magician. Larnste change magic at
> w3 level. Then he get's a whole lot of people to support his ascension
> (not the right word, but I can't remember the proper one now) and

Apotheosis.

> becomes a wyter for the whole kingdom of Sartar.

Correct.

> Sartar had been crowned the King of Dragon Pass, which propably has a
> lot of magical significanse. He received some worship from the whole
> kingdom of 100.000+ people.
>
> What strength does this give him? Is he a wyter, a hero or a minor
> god, and is there a difference?

The main diference is in the way that the powers manifest in game terms. I'd say he is a wyter, who is also a minor god. I'd give the wyter of the kingdom a strength of 10W5.

> In the same way I'd like to figure out where Belintar the Pharaoh fits
> on a similar power scale. I assume that by making himself the living
> god of Kethaela he has tied himself to the land (and sea). While he
> still inhabits a living body (and not a flame) he still propably
> couldn't leave the borders of his land, or at least would be severely
> weakened if he did.

About the same. Normally a physical body can't hold that much power, but we know he wears them out and replaces them fairly regularly.

> In the same way I've been wondering about the Red Emperor. He is
> essentially a mortal, and not a god, I assume.

He is a demigod.

> For all their power
> gods have severe limitations, and the emperor needs to be flexible. I
> would assume that he's physically in peak condition, because of the
> energies of the moon, an excellent (but not heroic) fighter and a
> master magician. He can propably draw on the moons power to work truly
> great magic.

Yes, to all that. And fo course, he is at the center of a web of magical relationships which feed their power into him.

> Despite all that I'd say the emperor is a bit more vulnerable than
> many people would think. He's gotten hurt and killed quite often over
> the centuries, and seems to be a bit overconfident.

I would credit it more to the power that his enemies have than to the weakness he has.

> As for stats... I'd say he's around 10w2* in skills dealing with
> physical violence, and 10w3 in personal magical skill and power. When
> he draws on the moon his magic is probably a mastery higher than that.

I'd raise them both by one mastery.

> All the above are rough attempts for stats that would reflect the
> history (and future history) as seen in the sources.

> * Of course there's his bodyguards to get though first.

And they are masters and champtions, with 10w2 being common, and 10w3 as the leaders.
And a lot of them.
Plus a lot of "standing magic" as well.

--
Sincerely,