Re: Palmaltela, grass, bad days & list question

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_6zBE2GGxOTaM64S68FzqEFCyYuR8dIKAng6JFWWhWf2Mm9N33sqOAbShmBIX>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 22:49:37 -0000

> In a recent science magazine (I think Discover, not sure) there was
> quite an interesting (to me at least) article about the 'black soil'
> of the amazon.....
> That has to show up in Glorantha somewhere--just look at the mythic
> resonances!

This is covered in the Mann book _1491_. It's apparently called "terra preta dos Indios". Mann presents some evidence that it could support larger populations than modern slash-and-burn agriculture in the same region. Even if that's not true on Earth, it could be in Glorantha.

> Also a note on staple crops. In Diamonds "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (I
> think it was there) it is stated that the early horticulture of the
> eastern united states (before the maize/squash/beans trinity made it
> up from central america) was goosefoot,

According to _1491_, the plant is part of a group called the Eastern Agricultural Complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Agricultural_Complex

In Glorantha, there might be places where the native agriculture was a complex like this, that got displaced either by grains (brought by Theyalan missionaries) or maize (brought by the Lunars). Maybe there would be corresponding changes in the goddesses worshipped, even (rediscovered) myths about how the original agricultural goddesses lost their places.

> Anyone know what the staple crop of Jrustela was/is? If potatos are
> not used elsewhere it could be interesting there--and nobody would
> trust potatoes now because of the god learners :-)

I think David Dunham has decided to use potatoes in southern Pelora for our Second Age game, just getting under way (see http://www.glorantha.com/new/fan/SouthPeloriaMap.pdf)

Rob