Re: Lunar use of Chaos

From: donald_at_kb_psodoMsnuHT4j0vkyBeww-zrEbCATEsS74drsPUs_A3kJW2AgxchkwpBcDxMyKfBtS
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 15:57:57 GMT

In message <f1pqve+397p_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>I've been wondering about the Empire and chaos. Sedenya herself
>dallies with chaos, and the crimson bat is the ultimate symbol of
>Lunar military might (parhaps like a aircraft carrier battlegroup is
>the symbol of US military might these days).

I'd compare the Bat to a nuclear bomb. Indiscriminate and potentially more dangerous to the user.

>What does this mean to lunar citizens, and what does it mean for their
>magicians and the military. In the Battle of Iceland scenario lunar
>magicians summon up a chaos monster(s). This may be because the moon
>is at it's darkest phase, and their other magic is weak. (I also
>suspect that the darkest phase of the moon is when such things are
>usually done anyway.) In the old RQ days there was a lot of
>speculation of lunar's making use of broo, ogres and vampires as
>needed as well, but I guess this was an exaggeration.

As usual the Lunar use of chaos will be exaggerated by their enemies but there will be sufficent examples to justify the stories.

>The inclusive nature of the lunar religion(s) would seem to say that
>at least in theory a broo or a scorpionman could become a citizen,
>with all the right therein.

In practice as well. Chaotic beings aren't common among the Lunar citizenry becuase chaos is inherently incapable of fitting in anywhere for long.

>So...
>
>How much does the lunar military make use of chaos?

Depends on the general and what opportunities he has to do so.

>Are the lunar
>cultists tainted by chaos, because of the taint in Sedenya herself?

Sedenya isn't tainted by chaos. Some Lunars are because of their actions and association with chaos.

Bear in mind that, outside Silver Shadow, Lunar citizens are between 5% and 12% of the population. So the majority of any Lunar army is not made up of Lunars.

In my view the attitude of the military and citizenry regard chaos and it's use ranges from absolute horror and disgust to "Well I suppose the leaders know what they are doing". Apart from a minority of chaotic individuals the leadership will use chaos because they see no better alternative. Even if in the case of the Bat the alternatives are feed it on our people or on foreign barbarians.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/