Re: Ogre culture?

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_a1U8E0q9-EAPHXi3_LxKjcrdoYVOsFVgayXWjWlcz_swXLMhQWIU_1BgxWhD9qEtgZKiD>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Are ogres common in Sartar and Heortland? Do they belong to the
> clans, or are they outsiders?

There are two types of ogres in Sartar. The born-to-ogres live in family groups which infiltrate into the "food" communities, then take a few stragglers for a few years before either quietly moving on or arranging a big feast (for themselves) before moving on. Then there are the occasional cuckoo ogres, born into the "food" by seduction, rape, or chaotic incursion, or sometimes taken in (Hah! Good pun, that!) by the "food people" as foundlings. The latter group either live as Heortlings, convinced that they are doomed (like a RW schizophrenic with "kill and eat" constantly ringing in their head), or are contacted by other ogres and initiated into the "normal" ogre society, where such feelings are proper and expected.

> PS. I found the alynx-fighting bit rather disturbing and not in
> very good taste. Animal fighting is horrible abuse, and it doesn't
> seem to fit all that well with the semi sacred nature of the
> shadowcats.

Yet RW horse cultures have stallion fights. Humans in general can be "rather disturbing and not in very good taste" at times.

> Heck, they are practically kin (especially to each other), and
> kinstrife is a bootles crime...

I expect that they do not fight each other to the death, except by accident. In this case, it would be more like Classical Greek boxing.

Do You Yahoo!?