Re: Barntar: Son of Orlanth?

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_LqeF2-5WvsOSEI35_Eqobysq6Hbpqw5k5lVvvP1Tvcit-XHRixV_ezySf4Qf>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 17:51:40 -0000

Mythically, definitely. He's the first son of Orlanth and Ernalda, and died fighting Vadrus.

But the way things are presented in _Thunder Rebels_ and _Storm Tribe_, Barntar is not magically a subcult of any aspect of Orlanth. The default subcult for a Heortling farmer in _Thunder Rebels_ is Durev the Householder, not Barntar. Barntar doesn't appear at all in the Orlanth cult writeup in _Thunder Rebels_, but is dropped among minor gods like Maran Gor and Kero Fin in _Storm Tribe_.

To me, it makes sense that the default cult for male farmers would be something like the "Orlanth Barntar" that L. Castelucci used in his games. But I might be missing something about the way men's farming magic works among the Heortlings.

Rob