Re: Barntar: Son of Orlanth?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_-Na38jV75NFsxrQhJ81qVF-ePtCIwh6tf2ZC2kn_BkBfXT8rrlkgtJHb06rG7zM30tf5>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:37:03 -0000

> Yes and no; for a start, wartime DP is an unusual situation. The
> Lunars are essentially interested in destroying the cultus of
> Orlanth, the religious institutions. If an Orlanthi says he's
> actually a worshipper of Barntar, but is still sacrificing to
> Orlanth, etc, then he runs the risk of being caught as such; even
> more so if he is still fighting the Lunars. If he secretly still
> venerates the Big Rebel but on the surface only follows Barntar,
> sticks to farming, etc, what do they care? Sure, extirpating the
> inner belief would in due course be a Lunar objective, but for the
> moment, crucifying godar, smashing armed resistance and persecuting
> overt displays of Orlanth-worship are the priority.

Also keep in mind that the Lunars (and the Orlanthi) don't know the connection between these cults in the same way we do. When a farmer in Saird or Syllila or Tarsh sacrifices to Barntar, he is giving offerings to Great Orlanth - whether he knows it or not (most likely not). The farmer just wants Barntar's aid with farming his land, the Lunars don't care (Barntar is just an agricultural god), and there aren't any Orlanthi heroes to exploit this. Yet.

Jeff