Re: Barntar: Son of Orlanth?

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_ns8fn8cP0c2gxur8evHU_-UkyeZVLxkJb-XAw-ulzZRfOEEJHA0UQg90qV9N>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 03:09:25 -0000

> Rather than convert farmers to
> another god who's magic may well be less suitable to the local land
> the Red Goddess and her priestesses have weakened the links between
> Barntar and Orlanth. Alter rituals to emphasise Barntar ploughing
> his own furrow rather than being part of the Storm Tribe. Maybe
> even developing a myth in which the Goddess shows Barntar the
> advantages of a stable civilised government.

I'm not sure new myths are even necessary. Judging from the _Storm Tribe_ writeup and list of feats, Barntar probably has a myth in which he opposes the violence of the (other) Thunder Brothers on behalf of the carls. Strengthening that myth by heroquesting and by incorporating it into regular rituals might be all that's necessary.

That's the kind of difference I was picturing between the cult of Barntar Barntar and that of Orlanth Barntar. The former cult devotes more time and energy recalling myths of Barntar as an independent plowman, herder, and advocate of the carl, while the latter devotes more resources to myths in which he is a Thunder Brother and loyal son of Orlanth.