Re: What magic does the Red Emperor use?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_clbfUFO0IinpmNr9tC8XlDydnK9Y9T7B1v7P7y9Lrp4ENwx5GO39_5ppERSg3Kl1Ouc>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 23:31:48 +1200

At 09:11 a.m. 11/05/2007, you wrote:

>I'be been looking at ILH-1 and -2 and wondering what sort of magic the
>Emperor is personally capable of using.

The Emperor has three sources of magic.

  1. the magics of his physical self, the person he was before he became Emperor.
  2. the magics accruing from his position as Emperor of Dara Happa, Padishah of Peloria and so on.
  3. the magics that stem from his Great Self.

An example of A magics, that of the physical self, is described in Tales #8, in
which Dozkalos, the first mask, had the power of guided teleportation which he stole from Orlanth before he became Emperor. Now other emperors because they do not share the same physical self do not have the same ease of access to this magic. They could call upon his memories but their ability to do so depends on how well they remember the previous mask.

B magics are easier to list in the specific case of Dara Happan powers because we have a list of what his predecessors could do. The Red Emperor can smite people dead with a sunspear because that is what Dara Happan Emperors have done in the past. On the other hand, the sacred powers of the Padishah of Peloria are for the most part unknown. These powers take the form of feats, affinities etc.

We have some examples of magical powers by the Red Emperor but we do not know whether they stem from his Imperial Position or from his Great Self. Sending the tax demons is a particularly well-attested power but we don't know how he developed it (my personal opinion is that he drew on the realm of Jajagapa). A more ambiguous example is his power to make people's heads explode.

C magics are those which stem from his Great Self. Since this Great Self is the continuing collective creation of the Egi, he has the total powers of the Egi. Unfortunately we don't know the names and abilities of most of the Egi. One we do know for certain is Erana Halfmoon, one of the New Egi and another is probably Aronius Jaranthir. The Red Emperor will also have the powers of the Rufus scripts and can probably create charms at will.

Lastly Tales #8 mentions that his chaos touch is summoning Demons of the Four-horned family and dismiss them at will.

--Peter Metcalfe