Re: pigs

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_ka3DWKNRcqev2vQdDe4cNeVCMXU5rGtgh6kLrZQUFii8wIgnWVn6wrLstM6d>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:50:41 -0000

> So, all that is just some of the speculation of someone else whose
> been thinking about the whole pig issue :-)

Yet another speculation to add: Pigs are more strongly associated with the Harandings, enemies of the Heortlings. The Harandings even have Orlanth married to the Sow Mother in their mythology. I can't cite an exact source for this, but I think this might have been mentioned in _Thunder Rebels_ (in connection with the Lawstaff myth) and in _King of Sartar_, where the Sow Mother is called Urgronika.

In David Dunham's just completed Umathela game, the Orlanthi in that region had a pig-centric mythology. Their Sow Mother was married to the local form of Orlanth, and they had a Boar God who was an important deity for swineherds. This made sense in part because most of the area was forested, and so inhospitable to livestock other than pigs.