Myth twisting

From: rune.writer <rune.writer_at_bq8hVci-zW0J-x7euL_5yAbDRKEFgIIZlVdfKjuqxN1brSWENNFrjsBbq7MGQMMb>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 05:15:26 -0000

A caveat, then two questions.

These questions may be pure God Learner sophistry and the answers may be, "Yeah, so what?" but I'm going to ask them anyway.

  1. Some of the stuff I've read seems to indicate a fairly advanced Orlanthi culture in the first age (or I could have misread things), eg the Lightbringer missionaries. Then I read about the, almost, dark age culture of the Heortlings et al.

I read, somewhere, a quote to the effect that a wide spread, consistent religion could be taken as evidence of GL interference or an inquisition style maintenance of religious orthodoxy. Well, the second option doesn't fit with Orlanthi culture, so I'm wondering how that culture could be so wide spread, while at the same time being so vehemently individualistic.

My question is, could the current form of Orlanthi culture be an effect of GL interference? Could the GLs have re-written the basic mythology of Orlanth as some sort of weapon against the EWF, to change the culture, so those resistant to EWF mysticism would be even more rebellious?

2) I re-read the article on redeeming Thed: http://www.chimera.info/daedalus/articles/fall2003/redeeming_thed.html It makes sense, mythically. OK, it was someone elses' campaign and Everybodies' GWV, but I was wondering, where does Gorgorma come from? Could Gorgorma, in fact, be Thed? We know that myths can be contradictory and the pre-dawn (hence, pre-time) was not bound by causality. Could Thed (non-redeemed) have continued as mother of Broos and associated nastiness, while the redeemed Thed took a new path/name/identity, hence Gorgorma?

AsI said, these questions could just be GL nonsense with no MGF applicability, but I would be interested to hear others' opinions.