Re: Pedantic ragging on "Celtic"

From: Greg <Greg_at_Q5foDhbU9aYI3tG_ND3NV_V1wR8ogLj2x4DLzh5pksMiAUIUXaWAT9bRXGuh8b12Fl7fLGx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:47:26 -0800

YGWV David Dunham wrote:
> >Orlanthi culture, so I'm wondering how
> >that culture could be so wide spread, while at the same time being so
> >vehemently individualistic.
>
> Doesn't this more or less describe the Celts?

Just for the record, the term Celt is almost meaningless. It really means, "Everyone north of our civilized land." The cultures that were so included had a tremendous variety of languages, customs and so on.
A lot of the time we see, in books whose authors ought to know better, a compilation of artifacts all labeled Celtic. So we have a helmet from here, a cauldron from there, and so on. But in fact, this would be the equivalent of saying "American Indians lived in tipis, carved totem poles and had birch bark canoes," and meaning that this was one people, not three extremely diferent and diverse cultures.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.