Re: Pedantic ragging on "Celtic"

From: rune.writer <rune.writer_at_PCgp2z5dUTcMHD6-To2fOZP7USCtK8DpduGyQznbxNb-WJheLzjuyidWNa6upYRR>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 16:38:09 -0000

Well, the best analogy would be some RL, BRONZE age culture ... :)

However, I think I understand this a bit better now and would probably say that bronze age CELTS are the best analogy for Orlanthi, for precisely the reasons Greg stated when he said,

'Just for the record, the term Celt is almost meaningless. It really means, "Everyone north of our civilized land."'

So, the term Orlanthi doesn't really mean ANYTHING to the people so designated. It only has meaning to/for outsiders (and in that sense, I'll continue using it).

Well, this thread has answered my first question, there isn't enough commonality of culture amongst the various Orlanth worshipping peoples to make a concerted GL attempt at social enginnering possible. In fact, even the term "Orlanth worshipping people" is meaningless. There are simply various groups at roughly similar levels of urbanisation, social structure, technology etc who may, or may not (eg Elmali), worship the Storm Pantheon and even those that do may have huge variations in myth/practice, justice, social structure etc.