Re: re: Pedantic ragging on "Celtic"

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_NpH17uwDFoxY9fnLzktvuhTLVEOiSIm1GTd3YBcuNlzUtG3bH0UhzmAhGN2BS7l2kNzlu>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 11:26:25 -0700

>>Of course Heortlings wear horned helmets. They're vikings!
>
> I'm pretty sure nobody wore horned helmets in battle. But it was such
> a great image that in King of Dragon Pass, we had to do it any way
> for Uroxi.

Nobody *sane* wears horns on their helmet - which just goes to show you about the Uroxi!

(no "fighting" helmets have been found with horns on, though there have been ceremonial helmets found - an overview at: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhornedhelmet.html). Note that I count those wacky Tournament helmets with all sorts of crests worn during the later Middle Ages as "ceremonial" - you wouldn't have found those in the middle of a for-real battle, or even the melee at the tournament.

RR