Re: Broo language?

From: donald_at_P_QFBk9p8DqqPe-8Hdm4lpvW3nZe6tPqHvaXrHTStu8A1YSQnEe4aJj_dM_pfKkSLQkL8
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:49:03 GMT

In message <f2rr4h+4uji_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>> I'm sure there's an interesting idea behind your perception of things.
>
>I've also been thinking about the general level of sophistication of
>broo "culture". In the classic RQ* sources they have magic and good
>weapons. That would imply that they have leatherworking, smiths and
>magical traditions... at least the more advanced tribes of broo do.
>
>If the broo are just humanoid beasts living in the forest with no
>language, no technology and no magic, they won't really be that much
>of a threat unless they mass up in huge numbers. A sartarite farmer
>never has his/her spear too far from hand afterall.

I've always thought of broo as scavaging for decent weapons. Fire hardened spears and cudgels being typical of what they make themselves. That's quite enough for a gang of twenty or thirty to be a threat to a stead. The farmers call on the clan warband to deal with such groups.

Magic is a different issue, even culturally primitive societies such as Balazarings have strong magic. I'd put broo on a slightly lower cultural level. So they have knowledge of fire and a language but not family relationships. The language, I'd suggest, is based on tradetalk with extra words to express dominance and submission. So yes, they can communicate with other groups but not well.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/