Re: Broo language?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_a3x4IDmCOUOieYfaQmo9eNrPqaAWOiDYFiAgJTj3EmKt2WZmR1SH91NxA5tD8MzjbfR8Z>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:31:39 -0700

> I've also been thinking about the general level of sophistication of
> broo "culture". In the classic RQ* sources they have magic and good
> weapons. That would imply that they have leatherworking, smiths and
> magical traditions... at least the more advanced tribes of broo do.

Actually, in the main RQ rules, their weapons are "Fire hardened spear" and "Club". "Their usual armor is cuirboilli" which seems a bit high-class to me - I'd say that it's "really thick uncured leather that is effectively cuirboilli" (RQ2, 76).

Borderlands notes that "Broos are not creators", and "Unless an object has some magical value to them, its fate is sealed". (Borderlands & Beyond, 39)

So the material side of their culture is crap - scrounged weapons and armor, rather than broo-made (except for the most basic weapons - sticks (I'd even throw in stones as weapons for them).

As someone noted, magic isn't necessarily an indication of material culture. Heck, Harp[ies have magic, too, and basically *no* material culture.

RR