AW: Re: Broo language?

From: Goihl & Fahey <goihlk_at_Ta5-CGPrd1OxCT8tkOmognrHX3QNvQyCNeY9QcT4oV0L8Y7hIJwEbakv0-Ubj0gZxjIMa>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:10:17 +0200

>Oh i see, Broo only have that "bad language", because that are the only
words a raped person shouts at a broo...

That will be some of what they pick up. "Please kill me now", and such things.

>What else can they have? It's the language they hear spoken.

When do they hear enuf human or other language to learn it?

>No doubt a broo spends a lot of time hiding/spying on and stalking members
of the local culture.

I worked with Turks for a couple years and learned nothing of Turkish. You can listen to people talk all day, but you have to have some grasp of a language to learn from hearing it.

>The alternative pretty much is having a language of their own,

There is no "The alternative". Different groups will develop differently.

> and I'm not sure there's enough cultural continuity among them.

There is for those which have language.
Sometimes two or more humans have spent time together and have developed a language for themselves, IF they have heard people (hopefully parents) speaking. Once they have learned that vocal communication exists they try it. There are twin sisters who grew up close to each other and alongside learning English for communication with their family they also developed their own language for communication only with each other. They did this from the time they could first speak, so it wasn't a decision to invent a language. There are other such cases.
Anyway, baby broo living together will develop a language if they first heard vocal communication from a parent, even if that parent dies before they can learn the parent's language.

>One group that interacts with the broo are ogres, and they will speak
the local dialect. Chaos cultists in general is another one, again speaking Sartarite in Sartar.

This will bet he case for many broo. Some never associate with ogres or anything else, and some ogres are wild and never associate with humans, and thus know no human language. Lots of variance here. Different broo, or any other creatures may even speak the same language, but with such heavy accents and dialects that they don't even recognize it as their own language. Each group effectively communicates with its own members and all others seem to speak another language, unless they spend some time to get used to each others' speech. There could be an area where all the broo and ogres got their language from one original group, but thru generations the dialects or languages derived from that one language split so that each group speaks its own form and doesn't understand the others, or some do and some don't.
I can read Swiss German just fine, and even prefer it, but I can't make anything out of what they speak. I can't even tell that it is Swiss German.

Daniel