Re: Broo language?

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_3wV7cqUnoj4ha0ikF7QMTG2ZKYMSarm_QL3oA5Njq5E5l5osebydUu3eZ7K5VwJhQ7LiIec2>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:11:10 +0100

"valkoharja" <rintasaa_at_iL9PjkR1ws8rdsOJlthwJJQOq0IghIFyclRWFaKlVX0JPb07MCT1NxXNZ_blR6j4_Rt4wykGKwXYbwn_rA.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>I seem to recall something about there being a broo language in the
>older (RQ) sources.

I've just been catching up with this discussion after a weekend away, and it seems to me something important has been missed. Lots of people have been advancing perfectly good reasons why broo - *if they were a real-life species here on Earth* - would not have a common language. Fair enough.

But surely Gloranthan broo would speak the language spoken by Thed and Ragnaglar? And each new broo would learn that language direct from the source. At every high holy day they would go to Thed's lodge on the Spirit Plane, and sit at her feet to listen to her tale of anger, bitterness and hatred against everything non-broo, and be taught her secret magics for hunting, raping and killing. Including the ability to communicate with other broo, even if it's only to coordinate a hunt.

They may only speak different crude and debased forms and dialects of Thed's original language (which, I'm guessing, would only be spoken in its pure form by the rare uncorrupted Green Age and Golden Age broo encountered on the Heroplane), and feral broo without magic would also not have access to the Spirit Plane or ways to communicate with Thed - but surely other broo would?

Stephen