RE: Re: Broo language?

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_KUaoY4Dp3ssShnd1eVfXY3DQgicvHIi3_rD9EgbxiS1pH7sMdraD1VXTPrIldelx1C7S>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:31:36 -0300

Daniel, among other things, says:
> Yes, of course. But that's nothing like learning a language. One normally
> uses at least a couple thousand words, plus the grammar of a
> language. When you get half that far you've learned something.
> They can pick up a few phrases, but communicating more than simple things
> requires learning a language.

> If you don't believe what I've written to this list then read anything on
> linguistics, or try learning another language...

Rory quite succintly pointed out how broo are not great at concentrating. Concentration, or "application", is essential to learning a language. I learned Portuguese because I really wanted to and applied myself, spending a few hours every day studying when I first came to Brazil. When I moved to Holland, I was ever so slightly closer to the archetypal broo (not too close, I hope) - I wasn't really that interested in the language. Even though I learned enough to follow conversations and be able to contribute to them, to get by at stations and so on, it just wasn't the same. But even the relatively little I did learn was through application.

Went to Prague a year ago and got the shock of my life, not being able to understand anything at all (I can get by in most Latin languages thanks to the Portuguese and some guesswork). I learned some very basic stuff in three or so days but only by being very iterested in it all.

I doubt anyone is particularly interested in that, except in that Daniel is right. Broo, unable to concentrate for long...no chance. No sir. Picking things up in the equivalent of the womb - absolutely, that's a grand idea.

And finally - if broo do have a language, then it is Dutch. Echt waar!

Sam.