Re: Giants and the River

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_eLOt1cvt8hps90GTNJCK8iXajyvdVs9Fh0qZaoG9T0kElHR0XJimmGIRNSSaXrX3lRa>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:16:27 -0000

I've been wondering about the Gloranthan giants too. It would seem to me that there is more to the giants than is readily apparent. It sounds like they are a "race" of gods, or at least something pretty much like gods. Parhaps the titans of Greek legend, or indeed the giants of norse mythology who warred with the Aesir and Vanir gods.

Giants and Dragons seem to have things in common. They both seem to have come second in the struggles that shaped Glorantha. They share some features with the mortal beings, and some with the gods, but both groups spend so much time asleep they are mistaken for geographical features.

>From some hints I also suspect that the line between gods, dragons and
giants is not as clear as people parhaps think. Orlanth killed a dragon that tried to mate with Kero Fin, and Orlanth himself obviously has a draconic side. Gonn Orta sounds suspisciously like the dead god Genert, and so on...

  -Adept