RE: True Mostali, Mistress Troll and Dragonewt noble mastery levels

From: donald_at_GiTlSvH0SmO_xpBnbK4w52VSx_nGIY5EhohsEWegW7vJzfT1f7be-XiU-h-2LylD5wLYB
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:30:30 GMT

In message <IOEPIAFIHECIBDLDBKAEMEFNDHAA.SamClau_at_NA8tgdii7DYuV0vwChqKMqQCuyJqm76LOr6BLAVOMRJ5p7MUCppiFtRBa6HIyBdea8TnjjIv02js8z9HYqmgEvnNZjNt0PmYi6R-jwq3i0tIKDfcjqI.yahoo.invalid> "Sam Elliot" writes:

>I'd generally agree with LC about 10w4-ish for the abilities most
>important to the particular being. Being weirdoes, on the whole,
>though, they might be less good at the sort of stuff which is
>invoked in explicit conflicts with PC's in a game.
>
>For example, Anaxial's Roster has Dragonewt Rulers (p.163) with:
>Dragonewt Philosophy 15w4, Close Combat 5w4, Leadership 18w3,
>Bargain 15w2. I reckon that PC's would be most likely to come up
>against the *last* of those abilities in conventional ways, but
>the DN might try and mess with their heads using the first.

The Dragonewt rulers aren't a separate race. They are the most advanced stage of their race. Anaxial's Roster says one per nest but the Dragon Pass boardgame has one in the whole area. So he should have heroic stats.

Uzuz are bigger and more magically powerful than Uzko but I wouldn't give them more than a mastery advantage if that. Of course they tend to be longer lived so they have more time to develop their skills. Of course the few Uzuz heros probably have their best skill in bearing healthy children.

>I'd suggest something similar for those big old trees, or those
>big old dryads. They might have Resist Fire 5w2 but they'd be
>able to get the PC's traipsing merrily through sun-dappled groves
>by using their Pre-Raphaelite Cliche 15w4.

The Aldryami are a bit more wierd. They are more linked to the Green Age than other races and that was a time when there wasn't the individuality that there is in Glorantha now. So my view is that these beings aren't dryads or trees but the forest itself. A PC will normally deal with an elf or some minor part of the whole but if you challenge the forest itself you're dealing with an embodied spirit in the W4 range with a mastery or two of community support. That's what the Lunars did with the forest of Rist in the Moonburn.

If the forest really wants to defeat the PCs, I reckon it would take them onto the Hero Plane in the Green Age. Struggling to retain their individuality and get out again without missing a few centuries would become the priority.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/