Re: Giants and the River

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_aEEEXQRjcXeJAUDoC0Rx44vJxC-mTrzlarZVH23WzSIewX1jGfbEwWc8YwyXoD6Kuwi>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:04:03 +1200

Sam:

>(1) Giants...
>Giants seem to feature a lot in N. European mythology, battling against the
>gods and so on (though I'm pig ignorant on this, BTW). There is very little
>in Gloranthan mythology though. They were about in the "early Green Age, and
>some claim that they are more ancient still" (Anaxial's Roster p. 149). What
>more do we know about their origins, especially how far back they might go?

The oldest mention of them is that they fought the Dragons at a time nobody else remembers but the outcome is obscured in Dragonewt metaphysics.

Annilla is cited in a syncretized God Learner history as having been queen of the Giants and that her husband was he who moves.

>(2) The Creek-Stream-River
>All sorts of Gods, Essences and so on involved here. When did it first
>appear, ot its various parts?

According to ST p214, it was after Engizi fought Korang the Slayer and was wounded. However the Stream was supposedly blessed by Malkion which makes it rather early.

--Peter Metcalfe