Gloranthan Sources & Inspirations

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_ksB98E9ZBZrh78xSCeqLc4PrxeGzS3QKTp9_n1A9NWKjHB5JxJUzXFMXLcaxXeWv>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:25:06 +1000

Gedday folks

As part of a project I'm doing, I've been thinking about Gloranthan sources and inspirations. I've listed a few below and wonder if you'd like to add to the list. Obviously, some influences will be partial or controversial, and while most things have multiple referents, I'm looking for dominant inspirations. Some things are pretty unique to Glorantha - I want to note those as well. You should get the idea from my examples.

Orlanth - Wotan/Thor/Indra.

Runes - C19 Volkisch romantic reinvention of Germanic myth.

Mostal. European folklore. Significant unique Gloranthan content.

Nature of Gods - primarily Jungian.

Aldryami - Significant unique Gloranthan content.

Ducks - Howard the duck , Disney.

Dragons - occidental mythology.

Power crystals - American neopaganism.

Orlanthi myth - Snorri Sturluson, The Eddas.

Red Goddess - Neopaganism? Christ myth?

Grotaron - unique Gloranthan content (sadly).

Prax - American west, Amerindians of the plains.

Journey of the Hero - Joseph Campbell.

Monomyth - Joseph Campbell.

Sacred Time, cyclic time - Mircea Eliade.

Axis Mundi - important in Mircea Eliade.

Mythic Ages - Hesiod, C19 matriarchal theorists.

All speculation of course. Any more?

Cheers!

John