Re: True Mostali, Mistress Troll and Dragonewt noble mastery levels

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_ZNh5ehCr6fAVONCXX1Jhgkzi_sjKo05jo62_K-FMVV5KoI9IfyJKmV4XPcU6FcH1Fkv>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:33:30 -0000

> The Dragonewt rulers aren't a separate race. They are the most
> advanced stage of their race. Anaxial's Roster says one per nest
> but the Dragon Pass boardgame has one in the whole area. So he
> should have heroic stats.

I wasn't talking about the Inhuman King, but the previous stage of 'newt development. RQ-3 Glorantha book calls that stage the rules, but it also forgets to mention the Inhuman King stage (fifth stage). RQ-2 called that stage "full priest". I prefer Noble or Jarl as a name the heortlings would use.

  1. Scout
  2. Warrior
  3. Priest
  4. Noble/Jarl
  5. Inhuman King

Of these the fourth stage would be the one that is an analogue to true Mostali and Mistress trolls, I think. There are several, but not many.

> Uzuz are bigger and more magically powerful than Uzko but I
> wouldn't give them more than a mastery advantage if that. Of
> course they tend to be longer lived so they have more time
> to develop their skills. Of course the few Uzuz heros probably
> have their best skill in bearing healthy children.

Sound pretty close to my suggested benchmark of 10w2.

> The Aldryami are a bit more wierd. They are more linked to the
> Green Age than other races and that was a time when there wasn't
> the individuality that there is in Glorantha now. So my view is
> that these beings aren't dryads or trees but the forest itself.
> A PC will normally deal with an elf or some minor part of the
> whole but if you challenge the forest itself you're dealing with
> an embodied spirit in the W4 range with a mastery or two of
> community support. That's what the Lunars did with the forest of
> Rist in the Moonburn.

That's an interesting take. I guess I'd combine that with a fairly powerful individual serving as a vessel for the power of the forest.

> If the forest really wants to defeat the PCs, I reckon it would
> take them onto the Hero Plane in the Green Age. Struggling to
> retain their individuality and get out again without missing a
> few centuries would become the priority.

Neat. For most PCs a well place arrow or ten will do the trick though. I seem to recall it was enough for Alakoring Dragonbreaker afterall...

  -Adept