Re: Forests and wildlands in Heortland, Sartar, Tarsh

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_6x48le2hKCUc3DxtUjLVgKoWXGwEmPVdhbu1oU3IY2EF1ilF2SxNdoj36jTocSdmgBS>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:01:15 -0000

> Hello Adept,
>
> IMO this problem has to do with the Gloranthan scale, simulation, and
> the mythical nature of Glorantha.
>
> If we assume that the scale given in the official maps is correct,
> Glorantha is quite small. (And this has been discussed at length
> elsewhere) If we combine this small size with, for example, the
> typical tula size of a typical Orlanthi clan in Sartar (240 hides or
> a bit over 100 square kilometres), we end up with a situation where
> the clans must indeed exist immediately next to each other, and even
> then the space hardly is enough.

I've long assumed that the scale is systematically wrong. I read the old kilometer scale maps at with a 6x increase in distances, and the newer mile scale maps with a 4x increase. This ends up with Heortland being the size of Ireland, which makes sense for 500.000 inhabitants.

<snip>
> In my Glorantha, Dragon Pass has a lot of woods both inside and
> outside the clan tulas, and I read the maps as supporting this
> vision.

Parhaps it's a finnish thing, but I also assume that there is a lot of old growth forest, and that the human inhabitation is cleared into the forest. Some areas in Heortland are very densely populated, but even there the clans want some forests to hunt and keep pigs in.

  -Adept