Re: Forests and wildlands in Heortland, Sartar, Tarsh

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_1RY7o--xWzbvXs8xHSZeVfHv86w2mgqC6CSbKQikKYCakcHl0LUJ0Ea3N2dM>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:59:48 -0000

> Given that the Sequoia resides in damp forests (and the oldest
> sequoia is about 2,200 years old), I'm not sure how they require
> fire and/or smoke to be born.

For Giant Sequoia, at least, fire is required to release their seeds from their cones.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/gsnm.html

http://www.savetheredwoods.org/education/giantsequoia.shtml

[Note Aldryami-friendly URL]

And I mentioned Garry Oak, which needs open areas to spread and which is gradually going extinct in my area, due in part to the lack of regular burns. The place it does best here is on the military firing and exercise ranges at Fort Lewis.