RE: Re: Forests and wildlands in Heortland, Sartar, Tarsh

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_NgDmbxg_u5fDs1V70U0bdFG-BBETb2rHNupELQqlwFaFHXQ5Rbxh2X5b6nsu5m0qT-7A>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:02:29 -0300

Peter:
> Hardly. If fire were necessary to release the seeds from their
> cones, the Sequoia wouldn't grow cones every year but only
> grow cones and release them when they detect a fire. That
> hot air is necessary to dry out the cones is something that
> could easily happen in a dry summer.

They'd have to grow cones very fast in that case. Fine for elves but not the RW. Also, plants produce many many more seeds than they require (like sperm, say). There are biomes adapted to fires - fynbos and cerrado are two I know of - and many of the plants will germinate only after fire events (lightning being the most likely cause, historically). It is an excellent signal that there will be less competition and that there will be lots of free nutrients.

Get rid of the fire and the trees won't stop responding to fire, they will probably die out and others will take over. They'd likely be too adapted to that particular circumstance.

This webpage is more specific about the requirement for fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotiny

It is wiki though. I can dig out real papers if necessary, once I'm at work.

Sam.