Tentacles report - part 1 of many

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_jekD4eFV65R7mwGW_OYuHuVfAGWBFrCZvitPH-neG91yr-a1UOujUx3gM7hj_zmR>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:29:08 -0700 (PDT)

As usual, Tentacles was a marvel. Many thanks to Fabian and the Tentacles team.

I played in my first LARP. I went to the con intending only to play HeroQuest games because I otherwise never play HeroQuest. I giving Neil a helping hand to sort through his enormous pile of materials for Dragon and the Deep Blue Sea when he Shanghai'd me into playing an Orlanthi, because someone had to cancel on short notice. So I played Senharlmarth, an Orlanthi aligned with King Androfin. There were a number of ways to play the character, so I won't spoil it for others, but I played it as a trickster.

Early on, I managed to get Ingo (who played the dwarf) to invite me on his heroquest that went back to "when" the World Machine was whole; I even warned him that I was a trickster. Jeff (the heroquest GM) was narrating along, describing the beautiful, perfect immobility of the world machine. "How boring," said I, and threw a spanner in the works. So, we got to participate in the breaking of the world machine and I got my disorder rune.

After that, King Androfin (Fabian) bound me in the traditional manner of controlling a trickster: give him jobs to do -- and an escort, both to get me out of trouble when other people attacked me and to keep me out of trouble when . . . well, you know. I stole the Iron Crown from a dragon, who was somewhat annoyed. We scurried atound doing lots of different quests. We tricked the world to allow both of us to compete as a team in Jaldon's beast hunt, thus winning it by slaying a walktapus. Immediately afterwards, the dragon got his revenge and looted my body.

We went on a couple heroquests where we dragged in the sun emperor in (played by Charles Corrigan). He was apparently the hero plane's punching bag, because he got sucked in to at least 4 other people's quests. We succeeded more than we failed. I kept warning the King that I would betray him at the worst possible moment.

We succeeded on the dragon breaker quest with Alakoring (played by Lewis Jardine) at our head. We helped the old-line traditionalists kill Yelm. We weren't entirely sure why they wanted us to, but we brought back the head of Shargash. Alakoring used it to woo the Queen of Esrolia (Charlotte, who looked fabulous in her Cleopatra outfit). The Esrolians did not want to get locked into a alliance with us, but we worked a complex deal with the Grandmother (played by Alison), which resulted in her marrying Androfin, whom we elected High King. Shortly after that, Alakoring won the hand of the Queen, so we had another marriage. Then, after placating the dwarf, we formed the Unity Council and headed off to the Lightbringer's quest.

I can't remember all the players. The ones I remember were: Alakoring as Orlanth
Me as trickster
Androfin as Flesh Man
Grandmother as Ginna Jar
Darva-somthing-or-other (Ian Cooper), an Orlanthi mystic, was Issaries I think the Queen played Chalana Arroy
We had a former member of the middle sea empire as Lankhor Mhy.

We started the quest, went on the Westfaring, descended to the underworld, and were met by our ally on the Unity Council, the Only Old One (played by Spenser Petersen, though he was not there fore this quest). He threw us a big feast that went on and on. "How boring," said I, and killed a troll. He was looking at me funny. Really. The Only Old One threw a conniption fit -- something about breaking hospitality -- and killed all the other party members. I escaped, of course, and wandered around, eventually finding my way to hell, where all the others now were (since they were dead). Along the way, I had found this nice torch so that I could see. Apparently everyone wanted it. The King turned to me expectantly, but -- this was really funny -- I gave it to the dead sun emperor instead. Well, that kind of sucked afterward, because he wanted us all to apologize to him. So, eveyrone else did a bunch of speechifying, blah blah blah. And I apologized for taking things too far --  which I obviously did by giving fire to someone who made me apologize.

After we returned the Sun to the surface, it was the big show-down between the various factions. We had to cumulate our runes and decide what god to have as our champion. It turned out that we decided to have two gods - Orlanth and Yelm, who fought it out against the vile Machine God, Zistor. The EWF dragon ring had apparently all achieved their own personal aims and, thoroughly sated, never brought about the grand cosmic dragon. Also, we discovered that a chaos plot led to two of Zistor's runes being chaos. In a mighty battle, Orlanth did Zistor in (and Yelm tried to horn in and claim credit). So we were victorious and triumphant.

More to come later.

Chris