Re: Glorantha, HeroQuest and metamagic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_ioBJi1hh-76BBRgkZ249It1ekH5mjJYK0thhiBx3tnH1B-2JDZGiIfaSt6jeZZvnkx1KX>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:34:00 -0700

>> No, its the best *applicable* ability, and it doesn't matter if its
>> magical or not. (Personal Resistance page 99). If you have Weave
>> Rug15w5, it won't help if I throw a lightning bolt at you (unless
>> you've got a *really* good explanation!).
>
> Weave Rug? Is that supposed to be a magical ability?

Doesn't have to be - the rules state "beings resist enemy magic with their best relevant ability or keyword, whether mundane or magical." Even if Weave Rug were a magical ability, it still wouldn't be relevant to resist against the lightning bolt (wthout a clever explanation of exactly how it was being used, of course).

> Are you sure about this?

Yes, absolutely certain. Re-read "Personal Resistance" on page 99.

Being able to use non-magical abilities as resistance was even in Hero Wars ("Persoanl Resistance", Page 170), so wherever you got this idea, it wasn't from the rules.

If this is so then magic defence is usually
> much, much lower than offence. I don't remember many cults that give
> magic resistance or dispelling feats.

I don't see why this should be so, since *any* applicable ability can be used to resist magic, not just a magical ability.

Dispelling *is* dependent on using magic, though - that's a different case than magical resistance. And you don't need specific abilties to dispell magic - re-read "Dispelling Magic" on page 100 for the list of types of abilities you can use.

RR