Re: Giants and the River

From: Greg <Greg_at_O0yBwtXJjj_p7m9SGutxV4zypTPdDlsqgdaIodnxdZvngNDxKDNAx8hc3LC3QA0JRuk6Rwk>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 05:51:55 -0800

YGWV I see there are many responses to this already, but before I even read them I respond simply.

Sam Elliot wrote:
  > (1) Giants...
> Giants seem to feature a lot in N. European mythology, battling against the
> gods and so on (though I'm pig ignorant on this, BTW). There is very little
> in Gloranthan mythology though. They were about in the "early Green Age, and
> some claim that they are more ancient still" (Anaxial's Roster p. 149). What
> more do we know about their origins, especially how far back they might go?

One thing to keep in mind is that I have used the word "giant" in several different contexts, and it refers to a variety of different types of being.
The primeval giants are shadowy, unknown beings--perhaps even the gods or great spirits themselves.
Gonn Orta is an unusual representative of an ancient race, a manifestation of ancient mythic powers.
Jolanti are giants too, but originally dwarf-made and now, perhaps, independent.
The Great Spirits of Prax are often called giants.

> (2) The Creek-Stream-River
> All sorts of Gods, Essences and so on involved here. When did it first
> appear, ot its various parts?

In the Gods War.
Sources differ, but that is the nature of the Gods War.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.