Re: Demons, hell and chaos

From: Greg <Greg_at_kJ4qFQNVbIk0SxqUUSoqxbvfW-23dBPCDpbY7F0Y487-Bnzo6ex2haGtOOFk7TLjtUY3jDW>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 17:05:32 -0800

YGWV valkoharja wrote:
> One character has captured a storm demon and bound it's essence within
> herself.

Nasty! This is more like voluntary possession. Binding is not normally done within one's self.
This might require constant reconquest of the demon, in my book. A moment of weakness and POW! the demon takes over.

> This gives her the the demon's abilities to draw on
> (windblasts, throwing lightning, flying along storms), and also gives
> her an infernal aura that makes animals nervous and propably doesn't
> help her relations with the Malkionist clergy.
>
> I assume that she is a prime example of a godless sorcerer to a proper
> religious malkinist.

Maybe even worse than godless. Godless = atheist. Demonic = demonic.

> But what is the attitude of the church(es) towards demons?

They hate 'em. They are among the list of foes.

> Also what
> are demons on Glorantha? Writing this character I was thinking of
> demons like those that the Blackhorse Troop rides. Infernal, but not
> chaotic. Is this the norm?

Demons are, as explained in AR (I believe) either from the Underworld or chaotic.
Although the term can also be used for something highly hostile. To uz, a sky being is demonic.

> What, ultimately, is the difference between
> demons of chaos and those that are more naturally a part of Glorantha?

The chaos. If one is incapable of quickly discerning whether something is chaotic or not, then, well, it's a demon. And all demons are nasty.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.