Re: Giants among the Norse

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_5yzLUXfCtB5BT4dunG0gojXd0E1FHFSISDK4zmeM_PfVFkUYEW5Ma7Q8bBM5F2Q1OT3J4>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:03:56 -0700 (PDT)

sverre larne <sverrelarne_at_F7JidFbwFR-AO8P3tDXoUaY1XrK-EzRdpb6jiES3tdXdaph3tJSFB5ZUy1y6iTyOUfBnXPETfV2leA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Actually, the norse "giants" or "jotuns" as we called them
> varied considerably. Some where stupid, but most where not.
> Many had considerable magical capabilities, and the norse gods
> and jotuns often interacted on friendly terms too. Several of
> the gods and jotuns had children together, and Loke, the
> trickster of the norse mythology was a jotun living among the gods.

And, according to some genealogies, Odin and his brothers were the sons of giants. Heimdall (equivalent to our Rigsdal) was supposedly mothered by a large group (9 or 12, I cannot remember which) of giantesses.

As another aside about the "giants":
When I visited Greece, 10 years ago, the museum guides and captions used the word "Giant" everywhere that I, and every other reader of Bullfinch's Mythology, would have expected them to use "Titan"

This implies that (at least the leaders of) the "giants" are typically just remnants an older, more primal, generation of gods. A Gloranthan equivalent might be the members of the Celestial Court, all of whom, except Uleria, are now dead, destroyed, and uncontactable (except possibly by special dedicated hero bands).

Of course, the modern giants are nothing compared to the ones in the old times. I remember the story of ... :-)

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC