Re: The Thalivians

From: Greg <Greg_at_HCvl3R6nbBeyabZaqfwBHDDugyyIoNas9EwsNMpAWE-APmOiTBCRgnSXH8mA0hCUhXHhfsx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:00:48 -0800

YGWV Ian wrote:
> Waaay back in 2003, on the Glorantha Digest, Greg was discussing
> racial characteristics in Glorantha (someone asked the old "What color
> are Wareran people" question), and made a throwaway comment about an
> orange-skinned ethnic minority in Western Seshnela. My game's going to
> be set in the Castle Coast, and since that's as far west as you can go
> in Seshnela before finding yourself underneath the Neliomi, I was
> hoping for some more detail. Since I'm fairly sure there's never been
> anything published on this ethnic minority, I guess this is
> specifically aimed at Mr. Stafford.

Aimed, cast and struck, Ian!

Thalivians

First, let me remind everyone that there are a plethora of minority people scattered throughout the world, largely unreported. Which is just as well, since I note that whenever one of these is mentioned I later find them conflated to be much more than they are in fact.

This said, let us then conflate.

These orange-skinned people are called the Thalivians, after the town and area they lived in, Thalivia, named after a small river, tributary to the Tanier, with its origin in the Tanier Woods. They originated during the early Second Age due to an effort at genocide launched against descendants of the Pendali who remained in the region as serfs to the conquerers long after their leonine aristocracy had fled.

There was a certain wizard, whose name might have been Verunge, Salandre or perhaps Hilippe--I do not know which is correct. Perhaps all three. He, or they, bore a grudge against the serfs for reasons likewise uncertain—though it might have been jealousy of their happiness, desire for their territory, or even revenge for a murder. He devised a spell that was directed towards these slaves which struck down through disease many of their race. To escape this the victims, who numbered far more than the Thalivians, sought escape through various means. It was Arestuvus, one of their number, who determined that the spell struck people of their physical description, rather than of their lineage, religion, custom, location or other possible classifications. Thus he sought to alter their appearance, which he did by turning their skin orange.
Enraged, the wizard nonetheless seized their lands and forced the people to flee, whereupon they became dwellers in the many cities, hiding among the poor and unfortunate, where their descendants still dwell.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.