Re: A quick thought on Scorpion Men

From: samclau_at_0MCqc8FdmHKn0O8MQ9GoueapADesX6wjv-p0jQpCSSonjOzMUcH6mzb5Wvqh5K0Ii0h9
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:47:46 -0300

RR:
> I think that Scorpions are wierd enough on their own that we don't need to
> go towards Aliens or termites for inspiration - this is an insect that gives

Close but no cigar.

> birth to live young! if that ain't chaotic enough, some species of RW
> scorpions are parthegenic - they don't *need* males to have young!

I think that's what I said in a post which vanished in the aether. Quite a few arthropods don't always need males. Aphids are the classic example, with telescoping of generations (so, you kill the baby scoprion man, let's say *it's* baby pops out - could be fun), but plenty of other insects, and mites too. Some parthenogenic mites are actually all male but are reproductively female (and mites aren't so far off scorpions).

The reason to go to termites is the sociality. If scorpion men are the equivalent of RW social insects, then there are some really bizarre things social insects can do, and scorpion men could, if one wishes.

The reason, in game terms, would simply be that you make controlling the beasts more difficult.

> Who cares what the mating ritual is? No Player hero is going to survive
> getting close enough to see it anyway (unless that hero happens to be the
> Queen, or a very quick Scorpion*man*).

Well, many many arthropods offer a nuptual gift to the potential mate. That could be one way for a PC to get a lot closer than (s)he wishes.

> Young scorpions ride their mommy's back - can you imagine the boost in
> fighting power that might give her? A bunch of half-meter/18 inch
> Scorpionman, err, "pups" scurrying around and getting in the way...

I've used that for a Kralori shaman. Difficult to control, a swarm of scorpions. The PC's lucked out on that occasion.

> Keep Scorpionmen like Scorpions, you don't have to go very far for
> wierdness!

Indeed.

Sam.

Aqui na Oi Internet você ganha ou ganha. Além de acesso grátis com qualidade, ganha contas ilimitadas de email com 1 giga cada uma. Ganha espaço ilimitado para hospedar sua página pessoal. Ganha flog, suporte grátis e muito mais. Baixe grátis o Discador em http://www.oi.com.br/discador e comece a ganhar.

Agora, se o seu negócio é voar na internet sem pagar uma fortuna, assine Oi Internet banda larga e ganhe modem grátis. Clique em http://www.oi.com.br/bandalarga e aproveite essa moleza!