Re: Red Moon in Vithela? Vithelan Hero Wars?

From: nils_w <nils_at_FBoO8w4xI16TMAzNCGQYF--fhG2FYPqDq1oc1FjBsaKYWcrHZ7D0c9nKuZvaM24pmKZkXAi>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:12:07 -0000

Hmm, I think most Vithelans see the Red Moon as an antigod, but perhaps she can be brought over to the right side and accept Vith's world order.

> The Vithelans with more of a pure mystic bent would perhaps consider
> her to be a prime example of failed mysticism. Nendurenite practice
> involves meditating and realizing one's individual nature is identical
> with the greater beings of the cosmos. This seems a bit like Lunar
> Inclusion, though they are much more expansive. I'm sure the Red
> Goddesses connection to Chaos is considered a mark of a fallen, or
> antigod, mystic.

I think the common man has great faith in the mystics' view and takes this opinion for true.

> For the Vithelans who follow the Dreaming Cycle, the Red Moon is
> likely interpreted as related to Thella White Moon and Avanapdur Black
> Moon. Is Sedenya another pawn of Avanapdur, like Adlanari Black
> Mirror and Herespur the Liar, or is she a new face of Thella? In my
> campaign I've already made some connections between the dreamers of
> the East and Merasedenya and some radical White Moonies...

Interesting, I haven't thought of this, but instinctively I'd say the Vithelan dreamers would think the Red Moon is a new incarnation of Avanapdur.

> Lastly, my campaign is currently in 1624, and I've been having the
> Vithelan Hero Wars commence with the rise of the Demon Navy in the
> Arandinni Isles. I've been looking over the notes on the "Double
> Phoenix Saga" in Revealed Mythologies, which while very evocative,
> leave much unexplored.
>
> I'm quite familiar with real world legends of the phoenix, but as far
> as I know, this magical bird does not exist outside of the East Isles.
> (It would make a great deal of sense for the Rinliddi to have similar
> stories.. perhaps it expired in the Great Darkness?) What
> significance does it have to the Vithelans? One supposes it would be
> considered the embodiment of the Cosmic War Cycles, with its personal
> cycle of flaming death and fiery rebirth. Is it connected to any of
> the gods of the Vithelan Pantheon? I do recall a bit about how Osdero
> of the Gods Cycle is sometimes called the 'Eagle Phoenix Emperor'.

The Doom Phoenix is so far mostly a Cool Vague Reference. The connection with the World Cycles is obvious of course, but I don't know of any connection to specific gods.

> As the Demon Navy spreads, it begins to set up altars to the Bloody
> Sun. This seems quite similar to Zerel Fan, the fallen sun god of the
> Kingdom of Ignorance.

Yes, probably the same deity.

> They are searching for the fabled 'Lens of
> Manduren" but are unable to find it. Nothing is said of who this
> Manduren is - I hypothesize that it may be a mystic of some kind.
> YGWV, but I think it was an Antigod student of the Unorthodox mystic
> Nenduren that surpassed his master and done in by jealous humans ...

I know nothing of Manurden or the lens. If there is more than another Cool Vague Reference, Greg only knows.