Re: Founding a new stead

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_OeuI81dTUlFXskYOas-eBnaXYRCH5V01TKa7CnMciDCffEu9aZ3QrRtWs3xlqycS7lQ1z>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:28:54 -0700

>>I'm sure I read it... but I can't find it. I've tried Thunder Rebels,
>>Storm
>>Tribe and Barbarian Adventures, without luck. Perhaps in "Glorantha, the
>>Second Age"? Any suggestions?
>
> Sounds to me like you have all the information you need to run this!
> (An event like this wouldn't happen all that often, so each time it
> does would be slightly different anyway.)

Basically, the stead-builders need to "make peace" with the surrounding landscape - if they don't, they'll be plagued by "natural disasters" - deer eating all the crops, ants and termites infesting the house, a spring "suddenly" appearing in the middle of the great hall, dry rot *and* wet rot in the hall timbers, door-to-door salesmen calling when you're in the shower, etc - all those little frustrations of home ownership magnified and happening at once :-).

So, to make sure that you're *not* plagued by the surrounding wilderness, you need to placate Nature. How Nature appears and what it wants is always variable - it may be a dryad from the surrounding forest, it may be the local river, it may be a beast-man type "King of the Forest". And don't forget that there may be more than one entity out there to be placated, and they may want opposing things!

So play with the idea, look at what the land around the new stead is like and determine what sort of creature/entity to use as "Nature". Then ask yourself "What does this thing want from humans to keep it placated?" Think of it as a supernatural protection racket.

RR