Re: Dragon's, EWF remnants and Truedragons in the rest of Genertela

From: jorganos <joe_at_gT5v3tIRfxYbDUStrkohI3mnMf3s06iacZtecpGLFqVkKmtyfYp0dYFaO4TnZ0oM8jcGNHKZ>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:05:54 -0000

Peter Metcalfe

>> Personally I think the God Learners defeated all the true dragons >> they could find and put them to sleep,

They sort of waltzed over Kralorela and eliminated the Emperor Dragon, probably neutralizing most of the other resident dragons, but I am less inclined to have them lay Thrunhin Da to sleep - they never controlled the Sea of Fog.

Pamaltela has few mentions of draconic entities, unless you count the hydras and Amuron, the Horned Serpent, Creator of the Fiwan and the world.

The Sea Dragons conquered by Waertag aren't quite part of the draconic myths in either the central Genertelan or Kralori versions, and certainly are not directly related to Thrunhin Da. This makes the West pretty poor in dragons, too.

Adept:
> Is there any offiscial estimate on how many true
> dragon exist on Glorantha anyway?

The only census-like event I can think of right now was the Dragonkill. The dragons present there all appeared in the Genertelan shape, and I think (not based on any facts) that both Godunya and Thrunhin Da were absent.

Sandy published an article on a Kralori Dragon in a White Wolf issue which mentioned its participation in the Dragonkill, but whether that one was a True Dragon or a lesser draconic being I don't know. (Neither can I say how canonical that article is...)

> I have a feeling that all of them
> aren't sleeping as hills and mountains, but may be physically in the
> heroplane, the Three Worlds or parhaps in short worlds of their very
> own.

True Dragons being connected to the Ultimate, anywhere they are is by definition not a short world but a valid Otherworld or part of the Mundane World (i.e. a hero plane). I don't think that they are restricted to one full manifestation "at a time" in all of those planes either.

> It sounds like more truedragons flew to the dragonkill than
> inhabit the Dragon Pass (which are the only ones offiscially known
> about). I sort of like the idea that there are dozens, maybe even
> hundreads of True Dragons all in all, but they either sleep through
> the ages or inhabit timeless magical planes (like the Gods).

Very few are mentioned by name, and then some entities are named as dragons in some context and non-dragons at other times (e.g. Vith).

Extant Dragons in central Genertela.
Krisa Yar, the Red Dragon
Green Dragon
Brown Dragon / Dragon of Jarn
Black Dragon
are the four resident True Dragons of Dragon Pass.

There is also the Sun Dragon that can be contacted in Pavis, and the Genertelan Dragon (Snake-whiskered ..) that was befriended by HonEel. Ormsfang is not listed as one of the True Dragons of Dragon Pass, but is a known dragon of the Eastern Rockwoods.

Besides the Dragonet of Dragon's Eye (and presumably that of Ryzel, according to some sources, while others say that Dragon's Eye is unique in having a Dragonet) there are known former Inhuman Kings.

Killed Dragon Pass dragons include Aroka and Sh'Har'karzeel (in about 20 different spelling variations, including this one). Killed EWF Dragons include Dreng, the Diamond Storm dragon. ^

The Emperor Sun of Dara Happa was reported to have been killed, but is said to be identical to the Sun Dragon that can be contacted in Pavis. Dead or not?

Kralori dragons look and behave strange while in Kralorela (source: Anaxial's Roster), but appear to be numerous. Are they True Dragons? Did they appear as similar in shape to the four known ones of Dragon Pass during the Dragonkill?

There ought to be considerably more True Dragons than the ones I've listed here, or the number of six ancestral dragons would seem too high.