Common Religions, common magic, and otherworlds

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_mS7j10BgMS1bBL_emHqTezbhceUSaslzl4AgmP7dE36-mKkj6NqP-fOUirtCdmf9NV>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:14:54 -0000

Don't worry, I'm not going to address all the various issues around these, just one specific area.

At least some common religions have otherworld locations--like Imarja or Lanbril (spelling? the thief god/inspiration). However they 'provide' common magic. Elsewhere it is implied that common magic is all provided from mortal world entities. Yet elsewhere there are entities that exist on both sides (like Kero Finn or The River), and I believe that in Thunder Rebels it was suggested that many wind daimones travelled regularly between the gods world and the mortal world.

So, what is the definition of a mortal world being, versus an otherworldly being, in terms of what kinds of magic they provide?

Finally, in terms of this discussion, does there need to be a distinction between talents and feats/charms/spells?

I'm interested both in rule-book interpretations, and glorantha-centric interpretations, but mostly the latter, which is why I asked on this list. I can tweak house rules to better match the effect I want, but I need to have a clearer view to help figure out what I want.

Regards;

-Bryan