Re: Common Religions, common magic, and otherworlds

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_qfjPeXdJNPIymj_dMkqHwkCFa5_veJ5QFwGc5Fk7OjyrsksbSEEXG9kGgew6-AYN0M>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:28:32 -0000

However, that leads me to another question: what mortal world entities can grant magic, that are not daimones, spirits, or essences? (implied was that those would grant feats, charms, and spells)?

> This is the biggest thing that I would change if I published HW
today: I
> would have only "common religions" with "mixed worship."

Of more interest: could you expand a bit on what you mean by this? I think you are saying that all religions would be like the existing common religions, incorporating mixed worship.....but this is the impression I already have from the book. At least, every culture has a common religion, even the heortlings learn talents and include some small number of animists, and I think they are about as extreme as it gets in terms of religious focus.

>From the play perspective, what is more limiting is the concentration
of magic issue. Everyone can have common magic, adding color and breadth to the character--unless they want to be good at their more active magic, in which case they lose the rest. So whichever way the broader culture goes, I suspect that it does not have as much impact on the average player-character.

Regards;

-Bryan