Re: When feats fail catastrophically

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_Yy2XXMBD6LMIcx2dLwYpAhyYc67BzWBwrs-SHvaNjQlJcSonRTi5T-8dgV7nZBBHgaB>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:07:29 -0000

>>> So when a Destor cultist tries to throw his opponent to the ground
>>> with a windblast and fails catastrophically... what happens?
>>>
>>>   -Adept

[Rob]
> This sounds like a rules question. Do you ask it here hoping for
> Greg to answer?

Not exactly. This is the only Glorantha list I have time to read and participate in. I didn't even remember that there is a rules list. I'm also more interested in the logic behind the consequenses (how Glorantha works) than in the exact HeroQuest rules (how HeroQuest works).

> Anyway, the answer to your question is probably largely dependent on
> your and your players preferred gaming style, and in particular why
> they failed.
>
> For example, if they failed catastrophically using the HQ rules it
> may simply be because they were hopelessly outclassed in a contest.
> Example: When an Inora Practitioner in my game attempted to freeze
> wind attack Harrek the Beserk after he killed Garrath Sharpsword on
> the cradle, she suffered a complete defeat with a few bump downs to
> spare.
> I ruled that she was completely encased in ice due to the feedback
> from the white bear! Her companions were able to break her out and
> the event underligned Harrek's invincibility so completely,
> dramatically nothing was to be gained by inflicting more harm on the
> character, or her magic.

Interesting. This is mostly about Harrek than the character messing up though, isn't it.

> However, if a situation is framed in such a way as the destori is
> literally putting his magic on the line, and the player and story
> has built up to this moment of high drama, then a complete defeat
> can mean losing faith in Orlanth, becoming an apostate; losing the
> ability to use magic from that affinity; but whatever, the stakes
> must be set out fairly clear and we are talking extended type
> contest.

That sounds fair, but stops the game while we work it out. My idea is that any time one performs magic _something_ happens. Failure with a fizzle is supremely undramatic, and doesn't seem to fit the logic of magic either. When you set your Will to work magic, there is always 100% commitment. If something goes wrong it still means that things happen, sometimes spectacular things.

When you are doing feat magic you are emulating a god. When you mess up, I have no idea what happened. If you fail utterly, it may indeed take a huge chunk from your confidence in your magic and the power of the deity. This should propably be rare.

> What you seem to describe however is a simple contest going wrong,
> so I would go for option 1 in that case.
>
> Does that help?

Yes, thanks. Still thinking about it, but this gave me something to work with.

  -Adept