Re: Dragon's, EWF remnants and Truedragons in the rest of Genertela

From: jorganos <joe_at_Yq4zdusWtNo5nz0UJD4J_iXu9Krts2z4rU2n79Zlbjrdd4ZL01Lb5P_XVKF6O9-XBx_1h90k>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:24:16 -0000

Peter Metcalfe

> I think Pamaltelan Draconic Mythology is confined to Slargeland.

To me, the slarges are reptilian but not draconic. There's no indication of the draconic access to the ultimate, either.

>>The Sea Dragons conquered by Waertag aren't quite part of the draconic
>>myths in either the central Genertelan or Kralori versions, and
>>certainly are not directly related to Thrunhin Da.

> Since the Genertelan and Kralori myths don't really have much to say
> about each other (to the extent that the Dragonewts and the Kralori
> call each other liars),

Do you mean the Central Genertelan 'newts, or the Kralorelan ones?

> you can hardly use that as evidence that the
> Sea Dragons are not draconic.

Unlike Thrunhin Da and lesser forms similar to her, the Sea Dragons are part of the Merfolk mythology.

>>This makes the West pretty poor in dragons, too.

> Pretty poor in what way? That knights cannot have tales about
> fighting dragons?

Carmanian knights have lots of such tales, and Ralian and Seshnegi ones might in Ormsland, too. I don't see any evidence for dragon presence on Danmalastan, though (even Waertag's conquered Sea Dragons were brought in from outside).

>>Very few are mentioned by name, and then some entities are named as >>dragons in some context and non-dragons at other times (e.g. Vith).

> Vith is not and never has been a dragon. The Kralori TarnGatHa is
> the dragon Dogsalu in Vithelan mythology.

Maybe, but Vith is TarnGatHa in Kralori myth.

And no, the God Learner equation of TarnGatHa with Aether (in RuneQuest Companion's Jonstown snippets) doesn't mean that the Yelmic pantheon is draconic in origin.

> That the Kralori think
> that Dogsalu was the first ruler only demonstrates their stupidity
> in Vithelan eyes.

And vice versa, I suppose. The Kralori are so dragon-infested that non-draconic mysticism appears to be quite subordinate.

> The next draconic ruler, HeenMaroun, is
> Govmeranen who is explicitly a son of Dogsalu in Kralori myth.
> After him comes the non-draconic Osdero who the Kralori call
> Metsyla and the dragons disappear from Kralori myth until
> Daruda's time.

Interestingly, though, Osdero is a child of Harantara, thereby the child of Thrunhin Da...

> I'm thinking the Snake-whiskered dragon is actually the Green
> Dragon. It would mean that he would have to leave his resting
> place for a jaunt to the Nights of Horrors though.

There is no mention of snake whiskers. I'm not sure that the four True Dragons of Dragon Pass are a fair measure to all True Dragons, either - both Red and Black Dragon appear to be more powerful than your average dragon, and the Brown Dragon makes as impressive an entry as Krisa Yar during the Dragonkill.

IMO the Green Dragon might be a former Inhuman King of Kerofinela.

>>The Emperor Sun of Dara Happa
>>Dead or not?

> Given that his appearance at the Dragonkill War was a shock to
> the Dayzatar Priests there, I'm convinced that it's Not Dead.

And the Brown Dragon is Dreng resurfacing? Dead for a given value of dead?

>>Kralori dragons look and behave strange while in Kralorela (source: >>Anaxial's Roster), but appear to be numerous. Are they True Dragons?

> They are a rank below True Dragons. I don't think they are
> Dream Dragons but equivalent in power and spiritual status
> to noble and ruler dragonewts.

Are they in any way related to the Kralori dragonewts?

>>Did they appear as similar in shape to the four known ones of Dragon >>Pass during the Dragonkill?

> I think the Kralori Dragons had more important things to do at
> the time such as the War in Heaven.

I think that taking part in the Dragonkill is the activation of all dragon magic in Kralorela.

The War in Heaven may have been a reflection or extension of the slaughter of all those sun-worshippers from Peloria, probably including quite a few of their lesser deities. The False Dragon Priests losing their powers may well mean that by not responding to the call to Dragon Pass, they failed a test.