Re: Dragon's, EWF remnants and Truedragons in the rest of Genertela

From: jorganos <joe_at_5Zs1NOwodbeIVUyBGIHA_myZMJAldI-g44gX_DW95kAUhI_3roA_W9CbS2YFBFrHIySeM0Yb>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:29:47 -0000

Peter Metcalfe

> > > I think Pamaltelan Draconic Mythology is confined to Slargeland.

> >To me, the slarges are reptilian but not draconic.

> And the newtlings are amphibian, not draconic. Yet there is
> a link between them and the dragonewts.

Neither newtlings nor slarge are closer to dragonkind than odonatites. Newtlings and slarge happen to be somewhat similar to junior dragonewts in shape. Newtling bachelors also play on this when they become dragonewt slaves (although their survival chances are little better than in Lunar territories where they are considered a delicacy).

>>There's no
>>indication of the draconic access to the ultimate, either.

> Simply because we have bugger-all information about the
> Slarges from their own view.

Same amount of inside information with dragonewts, who get a different description.

>>> Since the Genertelan and Kralori myths don't really have much to say
>>> about each other (to the extent that the Dragonewts and the Kralori
>>> call each other liars),

>>Do you mean the Central Genertelan 'newts, or the Kralorelan ones?

> Does it matter?

Yes. I'd expect Kralorelan dragonewts to be closer to the Kralorelan dragon varieties.

>>Unlike Thrunhin Da and lesser forms similar to her, the Sea Dragons >>are part of the Merfolk mythology.

> This is a flawed argument. The Merfolk themselves appear in Vithelan
> myth yet are not mystical.

You're stating my point there.

> The Waertagi are not Merfolk.

Unless you follow the school of thought that Waertag is the lost sorcerous triton. Besides, they are the ones with the strongest claims that Malkion (at whichever stage) was the son of Warera Triolina, and later on they bred back into that lineage. (Apparently with niiads rather than lesser merfolk, otherwise they wouldn't have produced a water-breathing variety.)

> There is
> nothing to prevent Thrunhin Da from appearing in Merfolk mythology
> and considering that she is the ancestor of the Zabdamar, she does.

In the same way that the merfolk appear in Orlanthi or Vithelan myth.

>>> Pretty poor in what way? That knights cannot have tales about >>> fighting dragons?

>>Carmanian knights have lots of such tales, and Ralian and Seshnegi >>ones might in Ormsland, too.

> So you don't see any evidence for the Loskalmi and Seshnegi
> fighting dragons in their own country.

Correct. Not a single shred in any of the publications. Other beasts galore, but no dragons.

Malkioni have a thing about fighting lions and other large cats. If they had dragon opposition a fraction that often, we would have heard.

> Does that mean they cannot
> have possibly fought any dragons there whatsoever? What about
> Herjan the Raider then? What about the dragonewts of fallen
> Seshnela?

What about those of Jrustela and Pamaltela? Not present there. Even Ralios had to be settled from Peloria.

Seshnela was Earth Snake country. The only recorded draconic connection there was Hykim.

>>I don't see any evidence for dragon
>>presence on Danmalastan, though (even Waertag's conquered Sea
>>Dragons were brought in from outside).

> Apart from Zzabur speaking of a True Being who "became a dragon
> that ate all the dead things and shat out a new generation of things
> to fight and kill" or of Desdoram who placed his head in the
> serpent's jaw? (Revealed Mythologies p2).

A parallel to Genner, Bamat, Worlath, and Vit. This doesn't populate Danmalastan with Great Spirits, Storm Gods, or Parloth, other than as invaders.

Zzabur is quite meticulous about naming all the invaders his magics fought off. Dragons are defined as different otherworld, and remain excluded.

>>> Vith is not and never has been a dragon. The Kralori TarnGatHa is >>> the dragon Dogsalu in Vithelan mythology.

>>Maybe, but Vith is TarnGatHa in Kralori myth.

> No, the source says that TarnGatHa is equated with Vith which
> is not the same thing.

This amounts to "Kralori myth doesn't differentiate between TarnGatHa and Vith". Good enough for me.

>>> I'm thinking the Snake-whiskered dragon is actually the Green
>>> Dragon.  It would mean that he would have to leave his resting
>>> place for a jaunt to the Nights of Horrors though.

> >There is no mention of snake whiskers.

> Does there need to be? Does a hero have to get so close to
> the green dragon and provide eye-witness testimony before
> you concede otherwise?

The Green Dragon is the only one to receive a description in some detail.

>>I think that taking part in the Dragonkill is the activation of all >>dragon magic in Kralorela.

> While the Dragonkill may have been part of an awesome
> eruption of draconic energies, to suggest that the Kralori
> took place presumes that the Inhuman King is the only
> true heir of draconic tradition which is something the
> Kralori deny. The Kralori would go so far as to argue
> that the War in Heaven was the primary event and that
> the Dragonkill was an aftershock.

All that the Kralori would observe were the events visible in the heavens. They don't mind whether it has something to do with lots of westerners being eaten.

Didn't you say that the Kralori dragonewts accuse the Kralori of being wrong about true inheritance of the draconic tradition? The same would go for the resident dragons, then.