Re: When feats fail catastrophically

From: donald_at_ASzgf1mGpd9vOgSmLyFf6SUI0ZKvap05v9DkCFHrXdVmMtjIeooGl6eXrViGS0TYE6p1E
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:52:03 GMT

In message <f5th85+kasg_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:
>--- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, "Roderick and Ellen
>Robertson" <rjremr_at_...> wrote:
><snip>
>> It partially depends on what you're calling "Catastrophic failure" -
>> a Fumble result on the dice, or a Complete Defeat in a contest. A
>> Fumble in a Simple contest is probably pretty bad and will wind up
>> in the lower parts of the Results chart...
>
>This was indeed pretty much what I was thinking. Then again, even in
>the extended contest it's useful to think what the fumble result
>means, and what that 3xAP loss signifies. The nature of theistic magic
>on Glorantha makes this a bit of a poser, at least to me. Is it
>possible to anger your deity, because when doing a feat you _are_ the
>deity. One of the effects that comes to mind would be the shifting of
>the characters personality towards the virtues of the deity. When
>embodying the magic, your own personality weakened.

I would suggest it means that the PC has failed badly in their attempt to emulate their diety. A Humakti has dropped his sword, a Vingan has slipped on a patch of mud or a Rigsdali falls asleep on watch. That doesn't anger the deity, just damages the Pc's confidence in their ability to emulate them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/